Tertianship Programme Details
Tertian Instructor and Staff:
The Tertianship is located in KwaZulu Natal, about 80 km north of Durban. Our address is:
93 Nkwazi Drive
DMS Co-ordinates: 29°17’01.9″S 31°26’28.0″E
Decimal Co-ordinates: -29.2838564, 31.4410600
Plus Code: PC8R+FC Nkwazi
+27 73 497 4070
Dates of Tertianship Programme
20 September 2021 – 20 March 2022 – applications open
24 May 2021 – 06 August 2021 & 23 May 2022 – 05 August 2022 (2 session Tertianship) – applications open
How many Jesuits does the program take?
The cost of the tertianship, which is available on request, covers all the expenses for the programme but not the travel to and from South Africa. The Tertians should bring extra funds for other activities before or after the tertianship.
Description of the Program
The third intake will be in 2021. The programme follows the common tertianship programme of the Society of Jesus with a particular emphasis on the African experience of the Society of Jesus. It is essentially the ‘school of the heart’ for the Jesuit at the end of his primary formation as St Ignatius desired; it aims to create a community of priest and brother tertians through a mutual sharing of our Jesuit life stories and prayer. The consideration of our own life story and that of St Ignatius with the experience of the Spiritual Exercises seeks to integrate the life of each tertian for final incorporation into the Society. A study of the Constitutions, General Congregations, history of the Society, Vows and administration of the Society is an integral part of the tertianship. A detailed timetable is available from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A strong desire and commitment to the tertianship programme.
- At least three years apostolic work and experience.
- A fluency in English for spiritual accompaniment, group work and ministries.
- A mission to the tertianship from one’s Major Superior. The applicant should contact the Tertianship Director (preferably by email) after discussing the suitability of this program with his Major Superior
- A confidential recommendation will be asked from the Major Superior, as well as a Testimonial of Suitability for Ordained Ministry i.e. with regard to Safeguarding and Addiction requirements.
- Members of JCAM will normally be given priority.
Please apply well in advance as visas take time to process.
What does the Tertianship SOUND like?
Please see more photographs at our Gallery page.
What is the weather like?JCAM Tertianship Weather forecast
You can see more detailed weather at this link.